A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an intensive treatment program that allows you to live at home while getting the help you need to manage addiction or mental health. It is ideal for people who do not require an inpatient stay but need more support than outpatient therapy can provide. Partial hospitalization programs are led by a team of therapists, physicians, and other addiction and mental health treatment professionals. You will receive similar care to inpatient treatment but on a more flexible schedule.
At Promises Brazos Valley, we understand how challenging it can be when you need a highly structured environment with lots of support but cannot attend inpatient treatment. With our comprehensive PHP, you can be sure to receive the help you need on a schedule that works for you. If you think a partial hospitalization program may be the right level of intensity for your situation, reach out to us at 979.426.0086.
Addiction treatment centers offer various levels of care, including a partial hospitalization program (PHP). Although a PHP provides a high level of care, it is somewhat different than an inpatient program:
- PHPs are outpatient programs, meaning you visit the facility for treatment five to seven days a week, for four to eight hours a day.
- You continue to live at home during treatment instead of staying at the facility.
- PHPs offer more flexibility than inpatient programs because you can choose to visit during the day, evenings, or on weekends.
Each treatment center operates its PHP differently, so you may find more or less flexibility in your specific program.
You may feel a bit nervous when beginning a partial hospitalization program. Understanding the PHP expectations can help ease your mind and prepare you for how the program will work. Although each treatment center has its own process, here is a general PHP timeline:
- You schedule an appointment for an intake assessment.
- At your appointment, you meet with one or more members of your treatment team for an evaluation. They determine the best course of treatment for you.
- If you are enrolled in a PHP, they may choose to have you begin the program immediately or schedule a future start date.
- You will meet with your care team on your first day to discuss medication and begin individual and group therapy. You may also visit with a case manager if applicable.
- Following the schedule, you will visit the facility and attend therapy and check-in sessions.
- Your care team will evaluate your progress and determine when it is appropriate for you to transition to a less structured treatment program, such as an intensive outpatient program or a traditional outpatient program.
Although your treatment team will make the final decision, most partial hospitalization programs last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.
Is a PHP Right for You?
A PHP helps people struggling with addiction or mental health issues who need more support than an outpatient program but cannot or may not need inpatient treatment. These intensive programs can also be a helpful alternative for people in the process of overcoming addiction but who need time to adjust after leaving a residential program. Gradually transitioning from the highly structured inpatient treatment environment to a partial hospitalization program can help you stay on track for recovery. You can start to practice the skills you learned in therapy but still have frequent access to the support of your treatment team.
Find a Partial Hospitalization Program at Promises Brazos Valley
Promises Brazos Valley‘s partial hospitalization program offers individualized care, group therapy sessions, and medications to address withdrawal symptoms and co-occurring mental health conditions. We know how important it is to find the right level of care, so we offer treatment options from residential treatment to the most flexible outpatient programs. Schedule an intake assessment today by calling us at 979.426.0086 so we can help you find your perfect fit.